Ship Security Officer (STCW)Book now
In shipping, merchant shipping, water construction or fishing, you may have to deal with theft, piracy or terrorism. That is why it is important to be well informed about the security of your crew, cargo and ship. Your shipping company can appoint you as a Ship Security Officer (SSO). With this course you get the knowledge and skills on board to sail with confidence. The Ship Security officer (SSO) course teaches you to ensure both the security of the ship as well as the implementation and support of the ship security plan. The SSO in association with the CSO will ensure the safety awareness of the crew on board.
This course has been certified by institute code NL007 by the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate (ILT).
You are an officer on every type of seagoing vessel in merchant shipping, hydraulic engineering or fishing, including tankers, passenger ships, Ro-Ro’s and dredgers and you are charged with the security organization on board a seagoing vessel greater than 500 GT / 750 kW, as prescribed in the ISPS. code and Solas XI-2.
The two-day course STCW Ship Security Officer takes 2 days. After completion the participant receives a STCW (A-VI/5) certificate, which is valid for life.
- Maritime security threats and preventative measures
- Ship Security Assessments and Audits
- The creating of Ship Security Plans
- Ship and Port Facility security measures and arrangements
- Recognition of behavioural patterns of people likely to threaten security
- Detection of weapons, explosives and other dangerous substances
- Regular testing, calibration and effective use of security equipment and systems
- Knowledge of ISPS code
At the end of the course:
- you ensure the security of the ship in an effective manner;
- you work more effectively as a manager in the field of ship security;
- you contribute to safety on the ship;
- you work together with the CSO (Company Security Officer) and the Security Officer of the Port Facility Security Officer on safety on the ship.
Are you interested in this training?
Please use the “book now” button for availability and book your course.
We expect the participants at 08.00 on the first training day. The following day starts at 08.30. All training days end no later than 17.00, unless the participant attends additional training(s).
The training is in English. On request we can organize this training for groups in a different language and if necessary with an private interpreter.
Requirements for participation:
- guard officer (Marof, Stuurman or WTK) on ships> 500 GT / 750 kW
- good knowledge of the English language
- at least 18 years old
- sailing time of at least 12 months or a demonstrable knowledge in ship operations
Please take the following to the training: