Medical First Aid
It is important that a person on board of ships can provide first aid to crew members. This is subject to legal requirements in the international STCW convention. The captain and those responsible for medical assistance on board must have the Medical First Aid and Medical Care certificates. The Medical First Aid training is intended for people on board of all types of ships within merchant shipping, fishing and sailing. This course has been certified by the Inspection Environment and Transport (ILT) under Institute code
Experienced teachers with a solid medical background during the course deal with the subjects identified in STCW table A-V / 4-1:
• Recognition of causes, extent and seriousness of the consequences of accidents and illness on board
• Providing fast medical first aid for accidents and sickness on board
The emphasis during this course is on learning practical skills.
This Medical First Aid course contain:
- first aid kit;
- toxicological hazards and injuries caused by chemicals;
- approaching and examining victims and patients in accordance with the GHS guidelines or equivalent;
- contact with the Radio Medical Service;
- neck and spinal injuries;
- thermal wounds and injuries;
- fractures, dislocations, contusions and sprains;
- medical care of rescued persons;
- sterile techniques;
- cardiac arrest, drowning and asphyxia.
We expect the participants at 08.00 on the first training day. The following days start at 08.30. All training days end no later than 17.00, unless the participant attends additional training(s).
The training is given in Dutch. We can organize this training in a different language for groups on request and if necessary with an private interpreter.
Requirements for participation:
In order to participate to the training, participants need to have
- Valid STCW Basic Safety training
- Seafarers medical certificate or declaration
To be brought to the lessons: Seamansbook.
To be sent prior to starting the course:
- Passport photograph (with name and date of birth written on the back)
- Copy of Basic Safety Training
- Seafarers medical certificate (physical examination)
- Copy of the participant’s personal information from the municipal personal records database or an enlarged photocopy of their passport.
It is important that we receive the required documents in time, otherwise it will not be possible for us to issue a certificate.
Medical First Aid €550,-
Medical Care €900,-
Basic Safety + Security Awareness €1160,-
(Optional) Seafarers medical €160,-