The Medical Care on board and Medical First Aid on board courses are being introduced for all types of ships in the merchant, fisheries and sailing ship sectors. The captain and the persons responsible for medical care on board must be in the possession of both certificates (Medical First Aid and Medical Care).
This training is part of our standard offer, please contact STC-KNRM for a booking at 010 – 4283860.
The Medical Care course contents:
Medical care of victims with:
- head, neck and spinal injuries;
- ear, eye, nose and throat injuries and diseases;
- internal and external bleeding;
- burns, scalds and frostbite;
- fractures, dislocations, contusions and sprains;
- wounds, wound healing and care of bleeding;
- options for pain relief and administration;
- sewing techniques;
- acute abdominal complaints;
- minor surgical treatment;
- dressing techniques.
General principles of nursing and nursing care. Diseases, including:
- medical condition and acute disorders of vital functions;
- sexually transmitted diseases;
- tropical and infectious diseases;
- alcohol and drug abuse;
- dental care;
- gynaecology, pregnancy and childbirth;
- medical care of rescued persons;
- general hygiene;
- death at sea.
- disinfection, disinfection station, disinfestation;
- keeping medical records;
- national and international regulations.
Onshore assistance and support:
- transportation of the ill and injured, including helicopter evacuation;
- medical care of sick seafarers in cooperation with port health authorities relating to quarantine measures.
Are you interested in this training?
Please use the “Book Now” button for availability and book your course.
We expect the participants at 07.45 on the first training day. The following days start at 08.30. All training days end no later than 16.30, unless the participant attends additional training(s).
The training is given in Dutch. We can organize this training in a different language for groups on request and if necessary with an private interpreter.
Requirements for participation:
In order to participate to the training, participants need to have a valid STCW Basic Training and have a valid Medical First Aid certificate (MFA). Also a Seafarers medical certificate or declaration of good health from their doctor.
We can arrange a Seafarer medical examination for the participants.
On https://www.ilent.nl/onderwerpen/medische-zaken-zeevaart/adressen-keuringsartsen you can find a certified doctor nearby to book the declaration of good health yourself.
To be brought to the lessons: Seamansbook.
To be sent prior to starting the course:
- Copy of Basic Safety Training + Medical First Aid
- Seagoing medical certificate (physical examination)
- Copy of the participant’s personal information from the municipal personal records database or an enlarged photocopy of their passport.
It is important that we receive the required documents in time, otherwise it will not be possible for us to issue a certificate.
Medical Care €885,-
Medical First Aid €540,-
Basic Safety + Security Awareness €1160,-
(Optional) Seafarer medical examination + shoulder measurement €160,-