Medical CareBook now
The internationale STCW convention imposes legal requirements on medical care provided on board. The Captain and those responsible for the medical assistance on board must have the Medical First Aid and Medical Care certificates. The Medical Care training is intended for people on board of all ship types within the merchant navy, the fishing industry and sailing.
During this course there will be reallistic situations that can occur on board. You learn to assess the situation and act accordingly. Guiding a medical evacuation is also part of the course program.
The course covers the following subjects (STCW tabel A-VI/4-2).
Medical care of victims with:
- head, neck and spinal injuries;
- ear, eye, nose and throat injuries and diseases;
- internal and external bleeding;
- burns, scalds and frostbite;
- fractures, dislocations, contusions and sprains;
- wounds, wound healing and care of bleeding;
- options for pain relief and administration;
- sewing techniques;
- acute abdominal complaints;
- minor surgical treatment;
- dressing techniques.
General principles of nursing and nursing care. Diseases, including:
- medical condition and acute disorders of vital functions;
- sexually transmitted diseases;
- tropical and infectious diseases;
- alcohol and drug abuse;
- dental care;
- gynaecology, pregnancy and childbirth;
- medical care of rescued persons;
- general hygiene;
- death at sea.
- disinfection, disinfection station, disinfestation;
- keeping medical records;
- national and international regulations.
Onshore assistance and support:
- transportation of the ill and injured, including helicopter evacuation;
- medical care of sick seafarers in cooperation with port health authorities relating to quarantine measures.
We expect the participants at 08.00 on the first training day. The following days start at 08.15. All training days end no later than 17.00, unless the participant attends additional training(s).
The training is given in Dutch. We can organize this training in a different language for groups on request and if necessary with an private interpreter.
Requirements for participation:
In order to participate to the training, participants need to have;
- Valid STCW Basic Safety Training
- Vaid Medical First Aid certificate (MFA).
- Seafarers medical certificate.
To be brought to the lessons: Seamansbook.
To be sent prior to starting the course:
- Passport photograph (with name and date of birth written on the back)
- Copy of Basic Safety Training + Medical First Aid certificate
- Seafarers certificate
- Copy of the participant’s personal information from the municipal personal records database or an enlarged photocopy.
It is important that we receive the required documents in time, otherwise it will not be possible for us to issue a certificate.
Medical care: €900,-
Medical First Aid € 550.-
Basic safety + Security Awareness €1160,-
Seafareres medical €160,-